Things I still want to do:
1. walk on the Great Wall of China
2. finish a conversation without a child interrupting me
3. sing on Broadway
4. Take a shower without a child interrupting me
5. visit the pyramids
6. get dressed without a child interrupting me
7. figure out a way to make lots of money without working so hard
8. write an email without a child interrupting me
9. make a lasting contribution to the world
10. make a meal that both children eat (yes, without them interrupting me!)
As I've gotten older, my dreams have changed. As my friends and I approach "milestone birthdays" we've learned to appreciate the joy in what is, rather than the longing over what isn't. The lofty goals of my youth have evolved into the often unexpected joys of my present. I may never be President (much to the chagrin of a daughter who idolizes Sasha and Malia), but I get to be the recipient of a wildflower picked by my son. I get to revel in the feel of a sticky hand grabbing mine tight, or an unexpected hug of my legs from behind. My life is rich.
Of course I still have goals and things I want to experience. But at the end of the day, being loved and needed by the people I love and need is really the most I could ever ask for.
That, and hair that doesn't frizz. C'mon, I'm not made of stone people.
Don't worry, in about ten years (or whenever they hit the joyous teen years) you'll probably only hear from your kids when they want money, a ride to the mall, money, a new cell phone that they'll never answer when you call, and/or money. ;) Love your list and reflections...
ReplyDeleteIt seems when we start getting older the things on our list get shorter and we look at the past more and wish we had realized what was really important.Everyday dreams of just making it to the end of the day with the family safe in bed and a little time to relax is really a dream.Jessica you inspire people with your writing and blogs so keep that dream alive.Thanks!
ReplyDeleteYou forgot:
ReplyDelete11. eat a meal without a child interrupting me
Love your list! It was just a few years ago that my idea of a dream day would have involved white water rafting in the mountains or laying on a beach in the south of France... but these days the definition of heaven is sending my child to grandma's and being able to sleep late, listen to music while getting a shower with the door closed the entire time, then getting out and watching a movie not made by disney in the middle of the day.
Growing older and having children definately changes what you value in life, but I'd take a spontanious "Mommy I love you!" from my three year old daughter over laying on the beach in the south of France any day of the week!
Oh to have hair that doesn't frizz - I still dream that impossible dream. And BTW I love that book Someday, and Red Vines too (yes, I read all the content on your blog!).
ReplyDelete