Monday, March 15, 2010

After changes upon changes, we are more or less the same

A friend posted a Facebook status update recently about how using her KitchenAid mixer to make a 5th birthday cake for her twin daughters made her think of the group of friends who gave it to her as a wedding gift. As part of that group, her post made me feel both nostalgic and horrified (has that much time really passed that the girls are now 5?), and sure enough, almost immediately all of us came out of the woodwork to post our memories and snark.

In a very Ya-Ya Sisterhood way, our little group even has a secret name (in our defense, when you're in your early twenties, lots of things seem like a good idea). And adding to the silliness, each of us has our own secret code name. So ingrained are these names in my brain, that referring to any of my girls by their real, not so supersecret code names feels wrong. I literally have to force myself to call them by their real names in public.

The eight of us have been friends for more years than I care to count. During that time, we've seen each other through break-ups and new boyfriends (and girlfriends), losing parents, coming out, countless moves, engagements and marriages, having babies and stepchildren, grad schools and new jobs. The only constant has been change.

Well, that, and how much we dislike Gwyneth Paltrow.

Life is so busy and we're no longer able to talk as much as we used to, or be able to drop everything for a girls' weekend in Vegas, NYC or North Carolina (yes, really, North Carolina). But I know that whenever I need it, there are a group of people who not only understand me, but understand how I think, whether it be about work/parenting struggles, beauty product recommendations, or an in-depth discussion about the Twilight saga.

Female friendships are an amazing gift.

9 comments:

  1. Girls weekend in NC!It seems that might be shock to some people,but it really is beautiful state.
    I have three girlfriends that I graduated with that I feel the same way about.We try to get together every few months and just basically have fun,been doing this for 37yrs now.Sometimes we will plan a pajama party at one of our homes and just stay up all nite and talk and eat whatever we want too!Its fun to talk about what could have been-what should have been-how it all turned out!I think the older we get the more a like we become!Yr blog kind of goes along with the video I just made Megan!
    Thats what friends are for,through good times and bad I'll be on yr side forever more-Thats what friends are for!Here is link if you like to watch-you are in it.Thanks for NC mention and you are welcome here anytime!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl-oNPDrLeM

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm. i wanna hear more about the gwyneth paltrow hate. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, Gwyneth hate and Kate Winslet love...is it any wonder I like you so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe everyone has 2 families.....one you're born into and one you choose. Best friends are the latter. They are rocks in your emotional foundation. They know you're crazy but still will be seen in public wtih you ;-) True friends are a blessing, one that you clearly don't take for granted. It's nice that you are still able to connect (as well as keep the code names). The question is do y'all also have a magic pair of jeans that travel amongst you?

    peace, love, & sisterhood

    *runs to cue ipod to Glinda & Elphaba singing 'For Good'*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel. I have those select few girl friends, who I have really good relationships with. I have friends I have been friends since JR. High and Elementary. I know that since I am only 20, it might not hold much ground. But I thank God every day I have them. Or I would go nutters.

    Like Stac says, I never take them for granted. because I know that I can ALWAYS count on them, even if I haven't talked to them for awhile. If I called them and needed to talk, or needed them, they would be there for me. :)


    Friends are what I think are God's way of letting us know we aren't alone in ANYTHING. Like that song from 'Into the Woods' No one is alone. And friends are the true testament to that. :)

    So indeed. girl friendships rule.

    P.S. You have really good blog ideas. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! And I agree. Paltrow sucks Donkey Kong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shakira-- she won an Oscar she didn't deserve, wearing an ill-fitting dress. Do we need other reasons? :)

    We also went to college together for 3 months. But that's a blog for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, that Oscar was suppose to be for Cate B. Compare the two roles together and it's a no brainer who was the better actress that year.

    Looking forward to reading that blog and any other blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. too true!

    juicy. i'll be keeping an eye out for that blog :suspicious:

    ReplyDelete